Friday 8 September 2023

Korean Barbeque in Singapore - in an authentic setting

I first experienced a Korean Barbeque in Hong Kong.  I was hooked with the variety of the items served, the leisurely way of enjoying the food, the unexplainable joy of Jinro Soju being sipped slowly along with the food, and finally, the cooking itself. Yes, you need a few people to really appreciate the different meats and veg but when you are single and alone, you must adapt – restaurants don’t like to serve barbeque style to single pax as it takes too much time – I found that in the Cambridge restaurant where I was served the meat duly cooked on a platter with all the accompaniments.

Here, in Singapore at Don Dae Bak Korean restaurant, my award winning pleading with the hostess actually not only got me a shared table, but also a real opportunity to cook my own food. 



I admit this was the first time I was cooking Korean barbeque food so, I unashamedly asked the guidance of the family of three sharing my table who were also enjoying their much larger variety of items. Its fun as the mother conveyed to the son who then conveyed her instructions to me. 













The meal lasted over one and a half hours. The small bowls were refilled each time at no extra cost. The Soju was replenished at extra cost !! 

The ambience of the restaurant was unique – really family and friend friendly. The servers were amazing, fast and efficient. Being close to my hotel, I could then just take a late evening stroll back to digest the meal. 

An evening never to be forgotten …. To be repeated when I am next in Singapore. 

















Text and photographs copyright of the author. No part of this article or photographs maybe transmitted or reproduced by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without written permission. Do contact the author on email -- helpthesun@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Text and photographs are copyright of the author. No part of any article or photographs maybe transmitted or reproduced by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without written permission. Do contact the author on email -- helpthesun@gmail.com