Saturday 3 August 2019

The North East Tribals - a diverse amalgam of cultures and societies

I read about this museum on Trip Advisor and found that most people had no clue about it. They all pointed me to the State Museum at the Palace, except Google Maps!! There was only one review about it but as an ex social anthropologist who had studied these tribes over 50 years ago, I was very keen to see this museum.

I persevered and eventually found this museum on the 2nd fl. of a building in a corner of a small lane. Lost to many other offices. I have submitted photos of the building from the outside for ease of rThis is a small museum. There are well designed and beautifully crafted murals and dioramas on the many tribes. Each tribe has a panel explaining the tribal background.  

I met the Deputy Director Mr Reang who has been there since Jan 2010.i told him a bit about me. He did not ask a single question why I came and why I wanted to meet him! All he did was get me a recent leaflet on books published on tribes! I asked him his background; no answer. When I persisted and asked if he was a researcher, he said he had no special knowledge. He just did not speak!! In which case, how did he become Deputy Director? Was it because he is a tribal? He seemed so lost, so overwhelmed sitting there. I don’t know who I felt pity for ... him or the Museum. One of the staff who met me afterwards, saw the look on my face and asked if I wanted to meet the Director. I said, no point. Waste of my time. 
 

It is pathetic and shameful, in my view, that there is no positive promotion on tribal culture outside the state. In Mumbai, the main tourist office at Churchgate has literature on these States which is dated early 2015. Nothing later! Why blame people that our tribal culture is dying when it is these very people in charge who are doing nothing to promote it outside the State.
I decided that I would take photos of each panel in the museum and then publish it in my blog. There are no signs saying photography not allowed. I am glad I did this as at the Palace, which is the home of the State Museum, which is vast, well kept, covering every single aspect of the State in detail, no photos are allowed.
So this is my small contribution in promoting the culture of these tribes.The text panels ize varies but thats due to my inadequacy than anything else. 


























Text and and visuals courtesy of the State Tribal Museum. Additional text and photographs of panels by the author. No part of this article or photographs maybe transmitted or reproduced by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without written permission. Do contact the author on email -- helpthesun@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Text and photographs are copyright of the author. No part of any article or photographs maybe transmitted or reproduced by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without written permission. Do contact the author on email -- helpthesun@gmail.com